Drupal Association Elections - My Criteria for Voting

Submitted by matthew on Fri, 2012-09-21 17:41

When I vote, I'm going to be looking at four criteria. Here they are.

Criteria 1
Experience - Has the candidate had experience working in the non-profit space? Has the candidate had board experience? Does the candidate have educational background that supports the board's needs? Does the candidate have work experience that supports the board's needs?

Criteria 2
Community Interaction - Has the candidate been involved in the community through Camps, Cons, presenting, code contributions, and other kinds of participation?

EDIT: Criteria 1 and 2 for me are both important, neither one is more important than the other.

Criteria 3
Technology Background - How long has the candidate been involved with technologies that support Drupal? How long has the candidate worked in Open Source? How long has the candidate worked with Drupal itself? This doesn't necessarily mean coding - it means how long have they spent time in the space in their own discipline.

ALL THESE BEING EQUAL

Criteria 4
Diversity - Does this person have specific attributes, by way of diversity, that we would like to target?

I want to be clear here. Our number one goal on the board must be good governance. The board has a fiduciary responsibility to lead the organization effectively. This is a legal responsibility and should not be taken lightly.

There are three legal responsibilities for boards of nonprofits in the U.S. - the specific statutes vary a little from State to State. Still this gives you an idea of the nature of the beast.

1) Duty of Care - this is expressed as "care than an ordinarily prudent person would exercise in a like position and under similar circumstances." This means that the person needs to have general understanding of the business and exercise care as a steward of the organization.

2) Duty of Loyalty - "a board member must give undivided allegiance when making decisions affecting the organization." You can't use the information you have as a board member for personal gain. You have to have the best interest of the organization in mind always.

3) Duty of Obedience - A board member must always be obedient to the organization's mission. The basic idea here is that the board member will manage funds to fulfill the organization's mission.

If you don't or can't follow the duties, you are no longer protected by Board Insurance and become personally legally responsible for actions you take on the board.

I'm not saying that diversity isn't important. In fact, I think it should be one of the goals of the board to recruit board members from diverse backgrounds to fulfill the mission. What I am saying is that good governance must be the primary function of the board.

Personally, I am committed to recruiting board members who are nationally and genderly (is that a word?) diverse.

Comments

Submitted by mortendk (not verified) on Sat, 2012-09-22 18:08

Hey Matt.
Dude Its NOT okay youre accusing me of saying “american candidates are to be less serious”! Read the argumentation again, you are linking to it. Else let me sum it up: You cant fully understand whats going on in “blue” if you live you life in “green” if you think thats not the case I would love to hear the arguments.

Did you forget the reason the DA asked for community vote:
"the community is asked to step in with strategic direction and new and fresh ideas through the nomination and election of at-large community representatives."
(https://association.drupal.org/node/16998)

Shoudnt that be the most importent goal - I mean that is what the Board are asking from the community to find representatives, not more of what they allready have?

love
mortendk

Submitted by matthew on Sat, 2012-09-22 20:30

"Right now we have about 80-90% of all key positions in the Drupal Association placed by people that all more or less share the same culturel background all by beeing rooted in the United States."

Simply NOT true

Founder: Dries Buytaert, Belgian
Angela Byron, Canadian
Tiffany Farriss, American
Jeff Walpole, American
Vesa Palmu, Finnish
Cary Gordon, American
Danese Cooper, American
Mike Woster, American
Steve Purkiss, British
Donna Benjamin, Australian

6 seats are held by Americans
4 seats are held by others

This is 60% - you are misrepresenting the percentages and saying in the same breath that:

"That is a problem, simply if we wanna make a international organizating.'

Now, I'm sorry if I mis-understood - but this did read to me that you believe that the US Candidates should be considered lower in consideration.

Submitted by matthew on Sat, 2012-09-22 20:54

I mis-understood Morten's intentions in his post to mean he believed to create a balance between cultures, voters should eschew choosing people from the United States. I'm sorry Morten, I didn't mean to misrepresent your meaning.

Submitted by mortendk (not verified) on Sun, 2012-09-23 09:00

Hey man no problems this is an issue that can make blood boil especially as you are an amercain/canadian/quater danish with an open mind. I fully understand why it can be pretty annoing to be accused for beeing not open minded as you are :)

No problems high five & lets rock on :)

Submitted by mortendk (not verified) on Sun, 2012-09-23 08:58

Dries Is livin, breating n operating in the states and have been for the last 3 years and are CEO for Acquia. im pretty sure hes interestphere is primarily based on where he is ;)

Angie webcick is American canadian and got her canadian citizenship 2 years ago (i know cause i wrote proud canadian on her name tag at DrupalCon CPH in 2010)

There is 3 people in the DA board that is not rooted innorth America/ canada. If you count the rest of key persons in the organization (advesori boards, track chairs, etc) then you get a picture of a very domint group of people.

What i am pointing out in the post you are refering to is that its not possible for me as an Danish frontend geek, to fully understand what a feemale India based database expert are struggeling with.
If you feel that is targeting you or anybody else based on where you a living, well im sorry for that and I have no intention of provoking or making anyone feel as they should not be consideradet as equals for any post. We can choose to ignore this issue, its not easy & will make tempers flare or we can look at solutions. I prefer to look at solutions instead of pointing fingers.

cheers & lets get voting on some drupal love :)

Submitted by matthew on Sun, 2012-09-23 11:30

I can tell you this from living large chunks of my life in both countries. They were built in extraordinarily different ways and that is reflected in how each country views the world and themselves. In fact, the two countries were at war with each other at one point. I know that a large percentage of Canadians would be upset if they were considered as lumped in with the United States - it just isn't the case.

Anyway - point well taken, Dries is an ex-pat from Belgium and Angie is an ex-pat from America - I suppose you could consider them they canceling each other out from a country standpoint and we're at 70%.

I don't want to ignore the issue - I personally want to focus on it and actively recruit people from diverse backgrounds to run. My intention, win or lose, is to do just that.

glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8