The Drupal Association Elections - I'm Running

Submitted by matthew on Mon, 2012-09-10 22:59

Vote in the Drupal Association ElectionsThis is the first in a series of posts I'm going to write leading up to the Drupal Association elections. I've put my hat into the ring because I feel like I can make a substantiative contribution to all of you through helping with good governance of the Drupal Association. I want to encourage others to do the same!

A friend in the community asked, "Why on earth would you want to do this? It'll eat your time and what will you get back for doing it???" This is pretty simple to answer.

I believe in contributing value back to supportive communities. I am grateful to the men and women who have made Drupal successful. When one views the world through a filter of gratitude, it has the effect of increasing a person's desire to contribute and help nurture those who are also participatory. You genuinely care about the people who are also involved in that community and they genuinely care about you. For me, this belief has borne itself within the Drupal community so many times that it is hard to express how thankful I am for you all.

While I started experimenting with Drupal in 2006 it really became the way I've earn my living in 2007. When I started participating in the community, first by attending meetups but later by making presentations, evangelizing, contributing a bit to documentation, engaging in governance discussions for the community, and helping organize events, what I gave came back double. This deepened my commitment to the community as a whole. When I've had challenges, suggestions and help are only as far away as an IRC client.

What have I done in service to the community? You see, I don't contribute code, but I do serve the community in other ways.

• Member of the Drupal Association
  • Helped organize and run Meetups in Boulder from 2007 through 2009
  • Helped with documentation
  • Contributed to discussions on governance and marketing
  • Was on the local committee for Drupalcon Denver and became a Volunteer Wrangler and the Customer Service Wrangler
  • Helped organize and volunteered at Drupalcamp Colorado - starting with the second camp
  • Keynoted at Drupalcamp Austin
  • Presented at Camps, Cons, and Meetups
  • Blogged on the business of Drupal
  • Evangelized the adoption of Drupal

Getting elected would mean I would be able to bring to bear my experience in the non-profit world and my experience with boards marrying it with my devotion to the Drupal Project. My next blog post will talk about my experience and how they would inform my efforts as a board member of the DA.

I hope that you plan on voting in the elections and that you'll consider me as someone that can represent your interests. Please tweet, FaceBook, and Google+ these posts. I need as much help as I can get to spread the word! I also need your vote.

Photo by the League of Women Voters of California under a Creative Commons License.

Comments

Submitted by TechGirlGeek (not verified) on Mon, 2012-09-10 23:18

Your words definitely resonate with me. You always inspire me and I think having you on the DA board could only be an outstanding choice. I will do all I can to support you. Good luck.

Submitted by matthew on Tue, 2012-09-11 09:37

I appreciate the support and the note of confidence!

Submitted by Steve Purkiss (not verified) on Tue, 2012-09-11 04:12

Thanks for stepping up Matthew! As one of the first community-elected Directors of the Drupal Association I recommend anyone reading who thinks they would like to to indeed do so - nominations close soon!

Having spoken to Matthew at length in Munich I think he would be a great addition to the Board and has my backing. What Matthew doesn't shout loud enough about in this article is quite how much experience in the nonprofit world he has, something which I think would be of great value to bring on Board at this time as the Drupal project continues to grow, and grow up.

Submitted by matthew on Tue, 2012-09-11 09:33

I'll be writing up a few more posts that roughly approximate the nomination form questions. I'll talk about my experience as part of that post.

Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.

Submitted by jcnventura (not verified) on Thu, 2012-09-13 07:59

Kudos++

Matthew, after meeting you briefly, it's fantastic to know you're running for the board. I am particularly excited by having more people wanting to be involved in the governance of the DA.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a lot more people will want to run for elections.. And specifically, we need to TWEET to everyone about the elections. The first time, voter turnout was... underwhelming.

João Ventura

Submitted by matthew on Thu, 2012-09-13 08:03

If I recall, you are a Trellon alumnus! Thanks for your support, and I agree - the more people involved in the elections, the more diversity we will find! Diversity is good for the community.

glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8